This guide explains how to set up the Receiving app. It is intended for system administrators.
The Receiving App helps you manage incoming shipments to receive purchase orders (POs) on a mobile device. This app is designed to be installed on either an individual's mobile device or a shared mobile device, depending on the data you want to track (see below).
Before You Start
The system administrator needs to complete the following:
- Configure aACE for mobile apps.
- Obtain the app by emailing a request to aACE Support, then deploy it on the needed devices.
- In aACE, set up the user records for Receiving App users. Depending on your workflows, this can be handled in different ways:
- Generic Users — A team member record for each shared device that will be running the app (e.g. "Receiving.App01", "Receiving.App02"). Note: Users cannot be logged in simultaneously on two devices — each shared device must have its own user.
- Named Individuals — A team member record for each person who uses the app. This method can help with auditing productivity because each incoming shipment received with the app logs the name of the user that received it. Note: Users cannot be logged in simultaneously on two devices. For example, if a user has aACE open on a desktop, then posts data to aACE from the Receiving App, the desktop session will be shut down.
- If your workflows require received inventory to be linked to a bin, navigate from Main Menu > System Admin > Preferences > Fulfillment, then mark the flag to 'Require bin selection in Shipping Log and Jobs'.
- If your workflows require printing barcode labels directly from the app, be sure to connect and configure each mobile device to a barcode printer.
Configuring the App
After downloading the app to a device, the first time you open it, the app will display the Settings screen for configuration:
- aACE Server Address — Enter the IP or DNS alias for your aACE server. If you do not know this address, please consult your system administrator.
- aACE File Name — Enter the name of the aACE Mobile file hosted on your server. Unless your system has been renamed, this should be “aACE Mobile”.
- aACE Account Name and Password — Enter the aACE login credentials for the generic user accounts or the actual team members who will use the app.
Tap the popover button () and tap Configure App. This will download default settings and the needed master and transaction data from aACE.
Using the App
After you finish configuring the app, tap Done to start the initial data sync and begin using the app.
The Actions menu has additional options for managing data.
The app stores data temporarily, then transfers it back to aACE as the central repository. Only data that has changed in the app or in aACE is transferred. This helps maximize the speed. After extended usage though, there may be discrepancies in the data time stamps (e.g. data that exists in aACE, but doesn't show up in the app). Resetting the data quickly creates a new baseline of accurate records.
- Configure — Verifies the server connection, resets the app data, downloads any needed settings from your aACE Mobile file, and refreshes all master data, then all transaction data. This may take a significant amount of time if you are storing a large amount of master and transaction data in your app.
- Refresh Transaction Data — Syncs all transaction data on demand (see below for details).
Note: Transaction data is refreshed regularly during normal use of the app, but irregularities may occur due to the nature of syncing. If you notice issues with the data, you can troubleshoot by tapping this link to get a clean update from aACE.
- Refresh Master Data — Syncs all master data (see below for details).
Note: Master data is only updated when the app is initially configured or when you manually refresh it. This minimizes the data synced between the app and aACE. If your team updates any relevant master data in aACE, manually refresh master data in the app to retrieve the latest data.
- Reset App — Wipes all data from the app. After this reset, you must re-configure the app.
Note: Resetting data clears out information that isn't being used, which helps maintain the app's responsiveness.
- Done — Refreshes the transaction data and opens the app for use.
Receiving App Master Data
- Offices in Active status
- Bins in Active status
- Vendor-type companies in Active status that have had open POs
- Line item codes in Active status with the Enable Shipping flag marked
Receiving App Transaction Data
- Purchase orders in Open status with receiving required
Receiving App Specific Settings
These settings can help customize the app to your company and personal workflows.
- Constrain data to office — Specifies which office's open POs should be displayed on the device
- Use device camera to scan barcodes — If a barcode scanner is not available, you can enable this setting and use the device camera instead. In your device iOS settings, make sure FileMaker has access to the camera.
- Enable barcode label printing — Enables functionality in the Receiving App so you can print barcode labels (based on your internal product code, i.e. the line item code) directly from the app. The related Label Type field allows you to specify what type of label sheets you use (e.g. 2x4, 4x6, etc).