This app helps you easily count inventory on hand and ensure that balances in aACE are accurate. The app is designed for an iPad mini or iPhone. Optionally, you can connect a Bluetooth scanner to make counting inventory more efficient. The app is designed to be installed on either an individual's mobile device or a shared mobile device, depending on the data you want to track.
Before You Start
The system administrator needs to complete the following:
- Configure aACE for mobile apps.
- Obtain the app by emailing a request to aACE Support, then deploy it on the needed devices.
- In aACE, set up the user records for Inventory Counter App 'users'. Depending on your workflows, this can be handled in different ways:
- App deployed on shared devices — For this approach, we recommend that you create generic team members for each device (e.g. "Inventory.Counter01", "Inventory.Counter02"). Each inventory adjustment created from the app will log the name of the user that submitted it, which may affect your auditing purposes. Note: A user cannot be logged in simultaneously on two devices — each shared device must have its own user.
- App deployed on team members' individual devices — For this approach, we recommend that create team member records for each user. Note: A user cannot be logged in simultaneously on two devices. For example, if a user opens aACE on a desktop, then submits an inventory adjustment from the app, the desktop session will be shut down.
Configuring the App
After downloading the app to a device, the first time you open it, the app displays the Settings screen for configuration.
- aACE Server Address — Enter the IP or DNS alias for your aACE server. If you do not know this address, please consult your system administrator.
- aACE File Name — Enter the name of the aACE Mobile file hosted on your server. Unless your system has been renamed, this should be “aACE Mobile”.
- aACE Account Name and Password — Enter the aACE login credentials for the generic team members or the actual team members who will use the app.
Note: If you will have multiple devices running the app for generic users, each ‘user’ must have an account name and password (e.g. "InvCount1.App", "InvCount2.App", etc).
Tap the popover button () and tap Configure App. This will download default settings and the needed master and transaction data from aACE.
Using the App
After you finish configuring the app, tap Done to start the initial data sync and begin using the app.
The Actions menu has additional options for managing data.
The app stores data temporarily, then transfers it back to aACE as the central repository. Only data that has changed in the app or in aACE is transferred. This helps maximize the speed. After extended usage though, there may be discrepancies in the data time stamps (e.g. data that exists in aACE, but doesn't show up in the app). Resetting the data quickly creates a new baseline of accurate records.
- Configure — Verifies the server connection, resets the app data, downloads any needed settings from your aACE Mobile file, and refreshes all master data, then all transaction data. This may take a significant amount of time if you are storing a large amount of master and transaction data in your app.
- Done — Refreshes the transaction data and opens the app for use.
- Refresh Transaction Data — Syncs all transaction data on demand (see below for details).
Note: Transaction data is refreshed regularly during normal use of the app, but irregularities may occur due to the nature of syncing. If you notice issues with the data, you can troubleshoot by tapping this link to get a clean update from aACE.
- Refresh Master Data — Syncs all master data (see below for details).
Note: Master data is only updated when the app is initially configured or when you manually refresh it. This minimizes the data synced between the app and aACE. If your team updates any relevant master data in aACE, manually refresh master data in the app to retrieve the latest data.
- Reset App — Wipes all data from the app. After this reset, you must re-configure the app.
Note: Resetting data clears out information that isn't being used, which helps maintain the app's responsiveness.
Inventory Counter App Master Data
- Inventoried line item codes in Active status
- Office bins in Active status
Inventory Counter App Transaction Data
- Serial numbers
- Manufacturer lot balances
Inventory Counter App Specific Settings
These settings can help customize the app to your company and personal workflows:
- Use device camera to scan barcodes — If a barcode scanner is not available, you can enable this setting and use the device camera instead. In the device iOS settings, make sure FileMaker has access to the camera.
- Require bin — Enable this setting if the bin is required for counting inventory.