There are three primary settings that help automate data entry and workflows related to shipping. (Note: These system preferences can only be accessed by system administrators.)
- Auto-generate Shipments
- Enable Backorder Management
- Default Delivery Type
In addition to these system preferences, to access automated shipping features, your line item codes must have the Enable Shipping checkbox selected.
- Navigate to System Admin > Preferences.
- In the Order Management section, click Shipping.
- In the Order Shipments, section, mark the checkbox for Auto-generate shipments.
When this preference is active, aACE automatically creates shipments for items when an order is opened. This preference is only applicable in systems where inventory is enabled.
Enable Backorder Management & Default Delivery Type
- Navigate to Menu > System Admin > Preferences.
- In the Order Management section, click Order Entry.
- In the Sales Order section:
- Mark the checkbox for Enable backorder management
- Set the Default Delivery Type dropdown to Ship Together OR Ship Separately
When Enable backorder management is active, aACE tracks partial shipments in a backorder fashion. For example, if an order is placed for 10 items, but only 5 are shipped, users will be asked to mark the applicable items as backordered. Then when an incoming shipment with backordered items is received, an outgoing shipment will automatically be generated for those items, in the quantities available.
When Default Delivery Type is set, it applies during order entry. When an order is created, the Delivery Type field will auto-fill with the value selected here. In order for shipping automation to work, the order's delivery type must be either Ship Together or Ship Separately. (During order placement, the user can change the default delivery type; however, this field cannot be changed after an order has been invoiced.)