When opening the aACE Calendar under certain conditions, there is a possibility that you will receive an error message that states that the FMP URL protocol is not working. Receiving this error message means that the aACE Calendar will not be able to display data properly, so you will need to resolve the protocol issue before continuing to use the Calendar.
What is the FMP URL Protocol?
The FMP URL protocol is a hidden setting that is stored on your machine that tells the aACE Calendar in which version of FileMaker to open the calendar's web viewer. In order for the aACE Calendar to load properly, the protocol must be set to the same version of FileMaker that you are using to access aACE (Example: If you are opening aACE in FM 17, then the protocol must be set to "17").
How do I set the FMP URL Protocol on my machine?
The FMP URL protocol is set anytime you install or uninstall any version of FileMaker on your machine. Below is the logic that determines when and how the protocol is set on your machine.
- Installing FileMaker 16 or Earlier: Sets the FMP URL protocol to the version being installed. This will overwrite any previous setting stored on your machine.
- Example: Your machine only has FM 18 installed on it and the FMP URL protocol is set to "18". Upon installing FM 16, the protocol is overwritten and set to "16".
- Installing FileMaker 17 or Later: Sets the FMP URL protocol to the version being installed only if the protocol is not already set.
- Example 1: Your machine only has FM 15 installed on it and the FMP URL protocol is set to "15". Upon installing FM 17, the protocol remains set to "15".
- Example 2: Your machine does not have any version of FM installed on it. Upon installing FM 17, the protocol is set to "17".
- Uninstalling any version of FileMaker : Clears the FMP URL protocol out and leaves it blank.
- Example: Your machine has FM 15, FM 16, and FM 17 installed on it. Upon uninstalling FM15, the protocol is cleared out and will not be set again until you install a new version of FileMaker.
If you are running the latest version of the aACE Calendar in FileMaker 18 or later, then the protocol should be bypassed, allowing the web viewer to open in whichever version of FileMaker you are using.
How do I resolve the protocol issue on my machine?
To determine the cause of the protocol issue you are experiencing, find out how many versions of FileMaker are installed on your machine. If you only have one version of FileMaker installed on your machine, then you will need to uninstall and re-install it to resolve the protocol issue.
If you have two or more versions of FileMaker installed on your machine, please complete the following steps:
- Uninstall the oldest version of FileMaker that you already have installed.
- If you wish to use a newer version of FileMaker that is not yet installed on your machine, install it now. Otherwise, if the latest version of FileMaker installed on your machine is the version that you wish to use, uninstall that version and then re-install it.