This guide explains how to remove references to a line item code (LIC) and deactivate it. It is intended for intermediate-level users.
If you no longer intend to use an LIC, you should manually deactivate it, flag it as discontinued, or delete it. When you deactivate an LIC, aACE checks whether it is linked to active records elsewhere in your system, including:
- Bill of Materials (BOM) — aACE can track the components you use to assemble other items. If an active assembly item or inventoried assembly item currently references an old LIC, then the old LIC cannot be deactivated. Deactivating it would cripple the assembly processes and task groups.
- Order Options — aACE can suggest other items as upgrades or alternatives on an order. If another LIC currently references an old LIC this way, then the old LIC cannot be deactivated. Deactivating it could interfere with order entry.
- Automated Inventory Tracking — aACE can automatically track inventory levels and create replenishment purchase orders. If an old LIC currently has inventory in your warehouse, it cannot be deactivated. Deactivating it would prevent the inventory from being depleted (e.g. sold).
If the LIC is linked to any of these records, aACE prevents the deactivation process. You must remove any references to the old LIC on these other active records before deactivating it. (See below for details.)
Note: If you need to not only deactivate the LIC, but also replace it with a new LIC, read more about replacing an LIC with another.
Manually Deactivating an LIC
After removing references to an LIC and transferring any on hand inventory (see below), you can manually deactivate it:
- Navigate from Main Menu > Order Setup > Line Item Codes.
- Locate the LIC you want to replace.
- At the detail view for that LIC, click Actions > Deactivate Line Item Code.
- At the confirmation dialog, click Deactivate.
Deactivating a Batch of LICs
You can deactivate multiple LICs at one time:
- At the Line Item Codes list view, use the Quick Search bar to locate all the records that should be deactivated.
- Click Actions > Deactivate Line Item Codes in List.
- At the confirmation dialog, click Deactivate.
Removing References to an LIC
Before you can deactivate an LIC, you must remove the following connections to other records. Note: In order to change a reference from an old LIC to a new one, the new LIC must already exist.
Remove an LIC from a BOM Record
You must locate all instances where the LIC is included in the BOM for another item, then replace or remove it.
- Navigate from Main Menu > Order Setup > Details > Bill of Materials.
Note: The Line Item Code column here shows the assembled items and the Material column shows the component or 'child' items.
- Use the Material field of the Quick Search bar to locate the component LIC you want to deactivate.
This will display all BOMs that include this component LIC.
- Use one of the Actions menu options to update the BOM records as needed:
- To replace the component — Click Actions > Update Material for Materials in List, then specify the new LIC.
- To remove the component — Click Actions > Delete Materials in List, then type DELETE in the confirmation dialog, and click Delete.
Remove an LIC as an Upgrade / Alternative
You must find all instances where the LIC is included as an upgrade or an alternative for another LIC, then remove or replace it.
- Navigate from Main Menu > Order Setup > Details > LI Code Options.
Note: The Line Item Code column here shows the 'parent' record and the Option column shows the 'child' record.
- Search the Option field of the Quick Search bar to locate the child LIC you want to deactivate.
- Update the displayed records using the Actions menu:
- To replace the LIC — Click Actions > Update Option for Options in List, then select the replacement LIC.
- To remove the LIC — Click Actions > Delete Options in List, then type DELETE in the confirmation dialog, and click Delete.
Remove an Inventoried LIC from Inventory
If the LIC is an inventoried item and still shows an inventory balance in the system, aACE will not deactivate it.
Discontinue an LIC
When the inventory balances for an item reach zero (and the other references described above have been removed), aACE can automatically deactivate the LIC.
Read more about discontinuing an LIC.
Transfer Existing Inventory from an Old LIC
You can manually transfer any On Hand inventory from one LIC to another using a beginning balance inventory adjustment. Set up the adjustment as follows:
- Old LIC — Add an adjustment line with a negative quantity.
- New LIC — Add a second adjustment line with the corresponding positive quantity.
Delete an LIC
You can only delete an LIC if it has been deactivated and has never been used in a transaction. Deleting a record removes it from the system so your team can no longer view it.
aACE will not allow you to delete an LIC that is currently Active or that has any related transactions. In other words, if an LIC has been used on any orders, purchase orders, etc, it will remain in your system. This feature helps support thorough auditing.
If you cannot delete an LIC, but want to prevent it from being used by your team, you can change the LIC abbreviation and/or description. For example, you can segregate retired records by adding a prefix to the code (e.g. "X-").