This guide explains how to correct the situation where a line item code (LIC) was initially created with an incorrect LIC record type. It is intended for intermediate-level users.
Most details on your LICs can be edited easily; however, the record type is different. Complex logic is associated with each LIC record type. Once it is set for a record, it cannot be changed. Instead you must create a new LIC record to replace the old, incorrect record.
Manually Replace a Single LIC
- Navigate to the Line Item Codes module and locate the LIC that has the incorrect record type.
- Edit that LIC, updating the code with a prefix to identify these items (e.g. "X-").
This segregates the record so your team will know to not select it, helps maintain a complete audit trail, and enables you to reuse the original code for the new LIC.
- Create a new LIC with the correct record type, using the original Code, Description, and other details that need to be carried over from the original record.
- Update any BOMs, order upgrades/alternatives, or other records to ensure they reference the new LIC.
- Deactivate the old LIC.
Replace a Batch of LICs
You can leverage the import process to retire multiple LICs and add multiple LICs at one time.
- Navigate to the Line Item Codes module, then filter the list view to display only the items that need to be updated.
- Click Actions > Add Prefix to Code for Line Item Codes in List.
- Enter a prefix to identify these items (e.g. "X-") and click Add.
- Click Actions > Export Line Item Codes, making sure the file Type is an Excel worksheet.
- Open the spreadsheet and update the data for the new LICs, including:
- For the Line Item Code column, remove the prefix you added.
- For the Line Item Code Rec Type column, enter the correct record type.
Note: The values for this column must match the import validations: ITEM, INVENTORIED ITEM, ASSEMBLY ITEM, INVENTORIED ASSEMBLY ITEM, TIME, EXPENSE, or OTHER.
- At the Line Item Codes module, click Actions > Import Line Item Codes > Step 3, and complete the import process.
- Update any BOMs, order upgrades/alternatives, or other records to ensure they reference the new LICs.
- Deactivate the old LICs.