This app helps your employees view information pertaining to open jobs, clock their time, and submit material usage. It is designed to be installed on a shared iPad mounted in a common area where each user on your team can access it. Multiple devices with the Job Shop App installed can be deployed throughout the facility; any user can log into any device without causing data conflicts.
Note: This app is designed for an iPad mini, but will also work on a full-sized iPad. It will not work on an iPhone or iPod touch because the workflow and interfaces were designed for a shared device rather than a personal device.
Before You Start
The system administrator needs to complete the following:
- Configure aACE for mobile apps.
- Obtain the app by emailing a request to aACE Support, then deploy it on the needed devices.
- In aACE, set up a generic 'user' for the Job Shop App:
- Create a Team Member record that has a recognizable name (e.g. “Job Shop App”) and has the Type field set as "Resource". If you will have multiple devices running this app, create a generic 'user' for each device (e.g. "Job Shop1 App", "Job Shop2 App", etc).
- Add these team member(s) to a User Group that is set with the 'management' Data Group.
Note: Because these team members will not regularly log into aACE from a desktop, you can prevent any unauthorized use by removing all of this group's menu options and module access privileges.
- Login for each team member to change the default password.
- Actual users will log into the Job Shop App using a unique PIN. Before deploying the app, you must enter each user's PIN as their Payroll ID (Menu > Internal > Team Members > Human Resources tab > Compensation Setup section).
Configuring the App
After downloading the app to a device, the first time you open it, the app will display the Settings screen for configuration:
- aACE Server Address — Enter the IP or DNS alias for your aACE server. If you do not know this address, please consult your system administrator.
- aACE File Name — Enter the name of the aACE Mobile file hosted on your server. Unless your system has been renamed, this should be “aACE Mobile”.
- aACE Account Name and Password — Enter the aACE login credentials for the generic team members.
Note: If you will have multiple devices running the app for generic users, each ‘user’ must have an account name and password (e.g. "Jobshop1.App", "Jobshop2.App", etc).
Tap the popover button () and tap Configure App. This will download default settings and the needed master and transaction data from aACE.
Using the App
After you finish configuring the app, tap Done to start the initial data sync and begin using the app.
The Actions menu has additional options for managing data.
The app stores data temporarily, then transfers it back to aACE as the central repository. Only data that has changed in the app or in aACE is transferred. This helps maximize the speed. After extended usage though, there may be discrepancies in the data time stamps (e.g. data that exists in aACE, but doesn't show up in the app). Resetting the data quickly creates a new baseline of accurate records.
- Configure — Verifies the server connection, resets the app data, downloads any needed settings from your aACE mobile file, and refreshes all master data, then all transaction data. This may take a significant amount of time if you are storing a large amount of master and transaction data in your app.
- Done — Refreshes the transaction data and opens the app for use.
- Refresh Transaction Data — Syncs all transaction data on demand (see below for details).
Note: Transaction data is refreshed regularly during normal use of the app, but irregularities may occur due to the nature of syncing. If you notice issues with the data, you can troubleshoot by tapping this link to get a clean update from aACE.
- Refresh Master Data — Syncs all master data (see below for details).
Note: Master data is only updated when the app is initially configured or when you manually refresh it. This minimizes the data synced between the app and aACE. If your team updates any relevant master data in aACE, manually refresh master data in the app to retrieve the latest data.
- Reset App — Wipes all data from the app. After this reset, you must re-configure the app.
Note: Resetting data clears out information that isn't being used, which helps maintain the app's responsiveness.
Job Shop Master Data
- Team members
- Line item codes in Active status
- Office bins in Active status
Job Shop Transaction Data
- Jobs in Open status
- Tasks in Pending and Incomplete status
- Serial balances
- Manufacturer lot balances
Job Shop Specific Settings
These settings can help customize the app to your company and personal workflows:
- Refresh data on login — Better syncing option when users will be logging in frequently or when the schedule constantly changes and new jobs are created throughout the day, so data needs to be refreshed more often.
- Refresh data every __ hours — Better syncing option when users do not login frequently or when the schedule is set in advance and remains constant, so data can be refreshed less often (e.g. once per day).
Syncing Job Shop Data
Data is synced between the Job Shop App and aACE at various intervals, depending on the data type:
- Time Clock start/stop — Uploaded to aACE immediately when you start or stop time (from any mobile device or desktop)
- Material Costs — Uploaded to aACE immediately when applied
- Timesheets, Serials, Lots — Downloaded from aACE at login
- Jobs, Tasks — Downloaded from aACE according to your app settings (described above)
- Line Item Codes, Team Members — Downloaded from aACE on demand (e.g. Refresh Master Data)