After you set up OpenEdge, you may need peripherals for card-present transactions on charge-processing terminals (e.g. customers walking into your store and handing a card to your cashier). These transactions require the cardholder to swipe or insert the card, enter the PIN number (if needed for a debit card), and tap Submit. The OpenEdge payment processing service authorizes the transaction.
For more information on chip readers, read about EMV Compliance Law.
New Clients Setting Up Chip Readers
If you are upgrading an existing OpenEdge account, please read the section below that explains the steps for obtaining an Account Token. We recommend that you conduct this setup during off-hours, so the transition won't interfere with users running transactions.
- Contact OpenEdge to purchase USB chip readers — OpenEdge must encode the readers and link them to your account.
- Work with OpenEdge to set up the chip readers — This requires installing a remote client manager (RCM) on each computer that you will use with the chip reader. The OpenEdge rep will likely want to set up screen sharing so they can configure each machine.
- Configure aACE — In the Card Entry dropdown list, select the correct option:
- If all of your terminals have chip readers, select “EMV”.
- If you have multiple input methods (e.g. chip readers, magnetic swipers, and/or manual entry), select “None Specified”. (Note: With this setting, the interface itself will determine the input method. It is often the safest option, but does cause a small delay when processing a payment.)
- Run a test.
Upgrading an Existing OpenEdge Account
If you already have an OpenEdge account, but are upgrading to use chip readers, you must first contact OpenEdge to get your Account Token. Call their support team and explain that:
- You are using aACE, which utilizes the Hosted Payment Form.
- You have an OpenEdge X-Web ID, Authentication Key, and Terminal ID.
- You currently need an OpenEdge Account Token.
Note: This is a technical, back-end update to your existing OpenEdge account and may take several days to complete.