You can issue refunds to customers for most transactions from either the Disbursements module or the Invoices module. This workflow is typically used when you cut a check to refund the customer.
Note: If a credit card was used for the payment and if credit card integration is enabled for your system, then the refund should be handled by Processing Refunds for Customer Credit Card Payments.
From the Disbursements Module
- Navigate to Menu > Accts Payable > Disbursements.
- In the menu bar, click New > Refund.
- Fill out the disbursement fields:
- Company — Select the payee.
- Amount — Enter the refund total. (Note: This amount should equal the total allocated to the invoices listed.)
- Bank Account — Select the account you wish to draw from.
- Payment Info fields — Verify that the Payee information is accurate, then enter the Check # and Memo.
- Invoices Amount column — Locate the invoice(s) related to the refund and enter the total you wish to allocate for each invoice.
Note: To quickly transfer the balance, click the Transfer () button. To update the allocation totals, click the Refresh () button.
- Click Save and Post.
To keep the record in Pending status, click Not Yet.
From the Invoices Module
- Navigate to Menu > Accts Receivable > Invoices.
- Use the Quick Search bar to locate the desired invoice.
- From the detail view, click the Refunds tab, then click the Plus () icon.
- At the new disbursement record, fill out the disbursement fields (as described above), then click Save and Post.
Note: If adjustments to the related invoice are necessary, you must make those adjustments manually. Read more about invoice management.