The Expenses App is a tool for data entry, designed to gather expense info and transfer it to aACE. Team members can use their mobile devices to easily record expenses while away from the office (e.g. on-site with a client, at a trade show, etc), then submit the expenses for review.
Before You Start
Your system administrator must complete the following tasks:
- Configure aACE for expense envelopes.
- Configure aACE for mobile apps.
- Obtain the app by emailing a request to aACE Support, then deploy it on the needed devices.
- Configure your aACE server for remote access.
Note: If your aACE server is not configured for remote access, your users will still be able to gather expenses; however, they will not be able to submit their records until they return to the office.
Configuring the App
After downloading the app to a device, the first time you open it, the app will display the Settings screen for configuration:
- aACE Server Address — Enter the IP or DNS alias for your aACE server. If you do not know this address, please consult your system administrator.
- aACE File Name — Enter the name of the aACE Mobile file hosted on your server. Unless your system has been renamed, this should be “aACE Mobile”.
- aACE Account Name and Password — Enter the aACE login credentials for the team member who will use the app.
Note: Users cannot be logged in simultaneously on two devices — if a user opens aACE on a desktop, then submits records from the app, the desktop session will be shut down.
Tap the popover button () and tap Configure App. This will download default settings and the needed master and transaction data from aACE.
Using the App
After you finish configuring the app, tap Done to start the initial data sync and begin using the app.
The Actions menu has additional options for managing data.
The app stores data temporarily, then transfers it back to aACE as the central repository. Only data that has changed in the app or in aACE is transferred. This helps maximize the speed. After extended usage though, there may be discrepancies in the data time stamps (e.g. data that exists in aACE, but doesn't show up in the app). Resetting the data quickly creates a new baseline of accurate records.
- Configure — Verifies the server connection, resets the app data, downloads any needed settings from your aACE Mobile file, and refreshes all master data, then all transaction data. This may take a significant amount of time if you are storing a large amount of master and transaction data in your app.
- Done — Refreshes the transaction data and opens the app for use.
- Refresh Transaction Data — Syncs all transaction data on demand (see below for details).
Note: Transaction data is refreshed regularly during normal use of the app, but irregularities may occur due to the nature of syncing. If you notice issues with the data, you can troubleshoot by tapping this link to get a clean update from aACE.
- Refresh Master Data — Syncs all master data (see below for details).
Note: Master data is only updated when the app is initially configured or when you manually refresh it. This minimizes the data synced between the app and aACE. If your team updates any relevant master data in aACE, manually refresh master data in the app to retrieve the latest data.
- Reset App — Wipes all data from the app. After this reset, you must re-configure the app.
Note: Resetting data clears out information that isn't being used, which helps maintain the app's responsiveness.
Expenses App Master Data
- Expense-type line item codes in Active status
Expenses App Transaction Data
- Jobs in Open status
Expenses App Specific Settings
These settings can help customize the app to your company and personal workflows.
- Preferences — Select a line item code (LIC) and/or a job from your aACE system to be auto-populated each time you create an expense item. This preference helps streamline data entry if you submit most expenses under the same job or line item code (e.g. trade shows might always use the same marketing line item code).
- Sync All Data — Downloads any updates from your aACE Job and Line Item Codes modules into the app.
Note: The app only needs to be synced as a preparation when leaving for an event. For this app, jobs and LICs are considered as 'master' data, while the expenses are dynamic 'transaction' data.