When clients overpay, you should process the overpayments to reflect the real life situation. Additionally, there may be credit/adjustments applied from order changes or cancellations. In either case, the credit balance can be applied to other outstanding balances.
This guide demonstrates this process with an example: suppose you have a customer with an open invoice totaling $899.82. Previously, this customer overpaid an invoice by $175.00, and also just sent a check for $724.82.
Applying a Customer Credit from the Receipts Module
- Navigate to Menu > Accts Receivable > Receipts.
- In the menu bar, click New > Customer Payment.
- On the new receipt record, specify the customer in the Company field.
The related open invoices are displayed, including the overpayment.
- In the Payment Info section, enter the check Amount.
- At the Suggested Balance column, click the Apply () icon.
The balances from the credit and the open invoice are applied. Notice the Out of Balance equals zero. (The check for $724.82 plus the overpayment of $175.00 from invoice 50027 offsets the open balance of $899.82 from invoice 50028.)
- Click Save.
Note: This same process can be used when a customer has a credit balance that will entirely cover another invoice. If in the above example the second invoice was for $175.00 instead of $724.82, the receipt would total $0.00 and the $175.00 credit would cover the entire $175.00 balance. No payment would have been received from the customer, but the credit payment would be accounted for in aACE and the invoice would be closed.
Applying a Customer Credit from the Orders Module
- Navigate to Menu > Accounts Receivable > Orders (or Order Management > Orders).
- Locate the order you want to work with.
- Next to the Payment Due field, click the Plus () icon.
- On the Enter Payment screen, the Credit Available field will show the amount of credit that the customer has. Click the Apply () icon.
aACE automatically calculates the remaining balance in the Payment (Amount or Percent) field after the credit is applied. If the customer has paid a different amount, this field can be edited to reflect the actual payment and the remaining balance or credit will appear in the Balance after Payment field.
- Click Apply Payment.