This guide explains how to remove default accounts and import new data to set up a chart of accounts. It is intended for system administrators.
aACE comes populated with several default general ledger accounts. Some of these are samples, while others are required for effective operations in aACE. The presence of this existing data that cannot be easily deleted means that importing your chart of accounts requires more attention than importing data to other modules. The overall process involves three general steps.
Step 1: Remove Sample Accounts
Review the default accounts in the new system, then deactivate and delete those that are unneeded.
- Navigate from Main Menu > Accounting > GL Accounts.
- Deactivate accounts individually or in a batch:
- Single Account — Locate the account, then click the line-level Actions () and click Deactivate.
- Multiple Accounts — You must run this process at least twice because header accounts cannot be deactivated if they contain active accounts. The exact number of times to run depends on the number of levels currently in the chart of accounts. Initial runs deactivate detail accounts; subsequent runs deactivate header accounts.
- Filter the list to show a set of accounts that need to be deactivated, then sort the list in descending order by Account ID. (This reduces the number of required iterations of the process.)
- Click Actions > Deactivate GL Accounts in List.
- aACE displays a confirmation message explaining how many accounts were deactivated and how many accounts could not be deactivated.
- Run the process again until the confirmation message reads "0 accounts were deactivated."
- Filter the list to show all inactive accounts.
- Click Actions > Delete GL Accounts in List.
Step 2: Remove Other Accounts
After Step 1, there may still be accounts that could not be deleted. These accounts remain because they are connected to other parts of the system, such as line item codes, Accounting module preferences, or general ledger records (which may have been generated from test transactions).
You must address these remaining accounts individually:
- Navigate to an active account's detail view.
- Click Actions > Deactivate GL Account.
- aACE displays a message explaining why the account could not be deactivated:
- Navigate to the needed module and remove the connection to the account.
- Deactivate and delete the account.
Recycle Other Accounts
For some accounts, it may be more effective to update the name and number to match the corresponding equivalent from the chart of accounts that you are importing. This saves the effort of needing to handle related records twice (i.e. once to remove the link to the old account, and twice to link to the new, imported account).
Use a Placeholder Account
Another approach is to create a temporary account to serve as a placeholder:
- Create an account like "9999 - Temporary Placeholder" or similar.
- Reassign linked records from a remaining account to the placeholder account.
- Deactivate and delete the remaining account.
- Import the new account, then reassign the linked records.
Step 3: Import Accounts
Follow the normal process for importing records to import your chart of accounts, downloading an aACE compatible template in .XLSX format from the General Ledger module.
The import process allows you to import accounts that have the same Account Number as existing accounts, but you will not be able to activate these accounts. Delete the imported accounts that fail to activate.