Before You Start
The system administrator needs to prepare the following details:
- On your FileMaker Server, enable the XML API, if it has not already been done.
- In aACE, set up the user records for Pick App users. Depending on your workflows, this can be handled in different ways:
- Named Individuals — A Team Member record for each person who uses the app. This method can help with auditing productivity because each shipment picked from the app logs the name of the user that picked it. Note: Users cannot be logged in simultaneously on two devices; if a user has aACE open on a desktop, then accesses or posts data to aACE from the Pick App, the desktop session will be shut down.
- Generic Users — A Team Member record for each shared device that will be running the app (e.g. "Pick.App01", "Pick.App02")
- Install FileMaker Go on your device(s).
Configuring the App
After downloading the Pick App to a device, the first time you open it, the app displays the Settings screen for configuration. After you configure the app, tap Done to begin using the app.
- aACE Server Address — The IP or DNS alias for your aACE server. If you do not know this address, please consult your system administrator.
- aACE File Name — The name of the aACE Mobile file hosted on your server. Unless your system has been renamed, this should be “aACE Mobile”.
- aACE Account Name and Password — The aACE login credentials for the user you selected above.
- Configure — Tapping this will download default preferences, as well as inventory line item codes and active office bin data from aACE. This initial download may take several minutes, due to the potentially high volume of data. Subsequent syncs will process smaller, quicker data updates.
- Reset Data — Wipes the Pick App of all data for a clean restart.
Note: This feature can be useful due to the app's design focused on speed and responsiveness. The app is a dummy app, meaning the data is only stored temporarily, then is transferred back to aACE as the central repository. This helps maximize the speed that is valuable for mobile apps by only syncing data that has changed in the app. After months and months of usage, there may be discrepancies in the data time stamps (e.g. data that exists in aACE is not showing up in the app). Resetting the data helps you quickly create a new baseline of accurate records.
You can use the following preferences to easily customize the Pick App:
- Enable batch workflow / Auto-select 'X' shipments — You can prepare a batch of work beforehand (e.g. if some of your work locations have poor WiFi connectivity, if you work on multiple shipments at one time, etc). You can download the details for multiple shipments (where 'X' represents the number of shipments to download) and update the Tracking Status to In Progress. This prevents other Pick App users from also downloading them.
- Quick Start mode — When the batch workflow is enabled, this setting automatically starts the pick process when you enter detail view for a shipment. This is more useful when you complete shipments one-by-one (as opposed to working on the shipments according to total number of items to pick, locations in a warehouse, or other sequence). Do not use Quick Start mode if you need to review shipment details before starting to pick items.
- Use device camera to scan barcodes — If a barcode scanner is not available, you can enable this setting and use the device camera instead. In your device iOS settings, make sure FileMaker has access to the camera.
- Automatically sort list by — Specify the default criterion for ordering the list view (e.g. by delivery date, carrier service, etc).